Monday, July 20, 2015

Chopped Thai Salad with Kale and Edamame

 I was looking for some new salads to try on Pinterest the other day and this one was exactly the change of pace I was hoping to find. I loved the idea of shredding kale to take away some of the toughness. Plus the large amount of cilantro sounded awesome. I did make a few changes because we turned this into a main dish.  I also took a few shortcuts to make it a faster meal. Because I hate getting out major appliances for quick weeknight meals I once again use my awesome Magic Bullet Blender for the dressing.
 
 
 
Chopped Thai Salad with Kale and Edamame
 
 
 
  • 6 cups baby kale (getting the baby kale is important, its more tender)
  • 8 oz frozen shelled edamame (cooked according to package instructions)
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrots (I again buy them preshredded in the package)
  • 6 mini sweet bell peppers (I prefer these because they are easier to slice into thin strips, if you can't find them an orange and yellow bell will do)
  • 3/4 cup cilantro
  • 3/4 cup of cashews (I buy the Kroger brand of Curry Cashews)
  • 3 green onions
 
DRESSING:
 
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1teaspoon sesame oil
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons lemongrass paste
  • juice of one fresh lime
  1. Firsh step is shredding/chopping all your veggies. Cut the kale into thin strips so it almost appears shredded. Do the same with the peppers. Cut into thin strips. Chop the cilantro. And slice the green onions very thin.
  2. Toss the kale, carrots, peppers, cilantro, edamame and green onions in a big bowl.
  3. Combine all your dressing ingredients in the blender and pulse until you have a smooth dressing.
  4. Toss the veggies with the dressing until it's coated.
  5. Break the cashews up a little either with your hand or a knife so they aren't all whole. Top the salad with cashews and serve!

****Makes 2 salad servings
****It's a 2 on B's dish scale. Not too shabby. Big bowl, cutting board/knife and the magic bullet.





No comments:

Post a Comment